Monday, September 13, 2010

"The Cider House Rules" (Concrete vs. Jello) P.S. This will be updated daily-ish.

9.13.10
I have experienced and connected with too much of love and life to except any set standard of what I should and shouldn't believe. The depths and heights of seemingly simple issues are far too great and too complex for me to claim to understand and have a stance on. In my mind, putting yourself in any one concrete place paints you as a fool on one plane or another. So, then, would it not be the wiser option to obstain from placing one's self in any kind of belief system all together? When there is no right or wrong answer, why do we feel the need to answer at all? If there is no correct answer, wouldn't that in turn mean that any answer at all is incorrect? Maybe it's that people define themselves and find there worth in what they believe. People put themselves in the position to be defined by what they believe instead of by who they really are. This, to me, is a sad mistake. I'm not discrediting having beliefs, because, yes, I have mine. All I'm suggesting is that making concrete decisions about things that are more like jello perhaps gets in the way of what's really important. And what's really important?... Well, I won't get concrete about that. (:


I'm going to read The Cider House Rules. Which, I might add, inspired this blog. Just remember: nothing is one sided.

9.14.10
This blog was originally a mere thought inspired by The Cider House Rules. I'm now going to turn it into a series of thoughts because it's a very multifaceted book over an extremely multifaceted subject. So, I'll be posting my thoughts and reactions to this book daily. If you haven't read the book and plan to, you may not want to read all of this. Also, if you're going to hate me for my views on this sensitive issue, you may not want to read it either.

I walked into this book with a pretty solid belief that abortion (as a general rule) is wrong. Meaning that for me, personally, I would never have an abortion. It's just not in me to do something like that. However, I have never been blind to the uncontrolable circumstances that happen to rise every now and again. For some, I do believe it to be an exceptable option. And it all goes back to your motives, just like everything else does. I don't believe that a mother should abort her unborn child for selfish reasons, but if the mother truly believes that having her child would be a tortuous and painful for all involved, I don't see the harm in trying to prevent that kind of brokenness. Towards the very beginning of the novel, Irving writes, "For whom did some minds insist that babies, even clearly unwanted ones, must be brought, screaming, into the world?" If you've ever read this novel, you know that he speaks volumes of the brokenness that the would-have-been-mother goes through, as well. You see? This isn't light. This topic hurts and pains itself through to the core. I know that to fully touch the heart of this novel, I'll have to read it more than once, and really, that's why I'm doing this. I feel like documenting my thoughts on it will help me process it and digest it more effectively. So, till tomorrow. (:

9.15.10
I actually haven't had any time to read a single word of my book today. However, I'm still going to post something. I want to talk about this, or rather blog about how this makes me feel and what it makes me think about, every day. My mind needs it in order to wrap itself around this. Topic on the mind: death. My Pappaw has been diagnosed with cancer today. Severe. Cancer. Today, abortion seems cruel. (I love how my heart confuses my mind. Let me tell you, it's grand...) Think about it: the baby being aborted could possibly be the next Martin Luther King, or Oprah(like we need more of her), but you know what I mean. No person, or potential person should be denied life, especially when they have no say in the matter. Denying someone the chance to live before they ever have a say in the matter... That's cruel. Plan and simple. At the same time, I can see where it's a little bit crazy. The baby hasn't been born yet. It has no memory of this tiny existance. I mean, okay. Guys, this is gross. If you're not comfortable with girl stuff, stop reading. Alright, when I first started my period I always felt bad for the unfertilized eggs, potential babies, running though my system. Crazy right? Seriously though, I was brought to tears on a number of occations. Hysterical. Ridiculous. Unrealistic. Yes, it was all of these things. However, it still... Was. You know? I feel like there are very few people who can actually connect with and understand what I'm saying. Half the time, I don't even finish my thought. The other half the time, my thought is totally and completely off the wall. THE END(of today).

9.17.10
Sadness. I didn't get to post yesterday. Or read. Crap. This is why I don't read: because I seriously don't have the time for it. But, I am going to be consistent with this blog. Blogging is my method of survival. Today was superb. Slept in. Went shopping with the best friend. Played Newcastle and saw so many people that I've really missed. Now, I'm home, blogging, and listening to pandora. I'm going to get my issues finished up tonight and maybe break into some of my homework. OH my gosh! Haha(: I got some of theeee best pictures at the game! I'm so excited. Anyways, wow. Okay, so dreams are pretty confusing things. That one the other night did nothing for my sanity. I'm gonna burst pretty soon if I don't get this situation under control. My favorite quote right now is, "Sanity is wasted on the insane." I saw this shirt the other day that I thought was pretty clever, but not completely relavent. It said: "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born." Which is definately a good point. Here is another factor on the subject of abortion that I've come to face: if you believe in fate, as I do, then you must believe that when a child is aborted, whether it be right or wrong, that's what's supposed to happen; you can't fight fate and there is a reason behind it. You know? Maybe I'll just forget about everything else I wanted to do and go read my book until I fall asleep. That sounds good. (: Or maybe I just won't sleep tonight and do it all because I can... This one's a long'n! Lol, night.

2 comments:

  1. I understand what you're saying, but I'm glad you threw in there that you aren't saying that having beliefs is wrong, because you HAVE to have beliefs, otherwise I feel like you have nothing to stand on you know? Although, you're beliefs need to have reason behind them, yes. definitely. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. (:
    My point is simply this: you can't stand on jello.

    ReplyDelete